Actual Header

Friday, February 20, 2015

Lady Susan - A Book Review

Hello Dreamers!
 
Guess what? Another book review! I kinda like reviewing books actually... I should make a habit of it...
 
For those of you who don't know, Lady Susan is a fairly short novel written by Jane Austen. Actually, it was the only Jane Austen I hadn't either read, or seen in a movie (In fact, I'm fairly certain Lady Susan has yet to be recognized in the film world except through some kind of documentary...) and since I didn't really feel like going to bed the night before Valentines Day, it seemed fitting to commemorate the holiday with a Jane Austen. (All of which to say, I read it in two hours. It's short.)
 
A tiny little history lesson. Jane Austen wrote Lady Susan when she was in her late teens (at least... that's what they figure...) and wasn't published until 54 years after her death. We don't know why she never attempted to get it published but... she didn't. It seems her nephew may have taken it upon himself to publish this one...
 
This novel is pretty different from her other books. Most obviously, it is written in epistolary form (meaning it's a compilation of letters between the characters of the story.). Also notable, is the completely dislikable main character, Lady Susan Vernon. (You're not supposed to like her so don't think I'm just being picky with my main characters again...) She's selfish, extremely manipulative and she likes it. Think... evil stepmother from anyone of the Disney princess stories and you're right on track. She's awful. (Apparently there are some parallels between Lady Susan and a horrid neighbor Austen had and a character from the Bible... random trivia.)
 
Lady Susan's daughter, Frederica Vernon, turns out to be quite the doll when her horrid mother isn't about. (Despite her mother's insisting that Frederica is utterly foolish and stupid... guess if you don't manipulate men, you're just not smart enough for Lady Susan. Weirdness.) Anyway, Lady Susan is intent on Frederica marrying utter fool, Sir James Martin. Who happens to seem completely content with marrying Frederica or her mother... the latter of which seems to be commanding his interests either way - creepy.... Regardless, this is a bit of a problem for a couple of reasons.
One, turns out Lady Susan's husband has just recently died (it's clear that his death was fairly recent... I understood it to be a few months but I could be wrong) and she is the talk of rumors for "engaging the affections" of not just Mr. Martin, but another man - who happens to be married - so... Sir Martin marrying Lady Susan simply wont work very well. (It seems that Lady Susan has her heart set on the married man anyway so... whatever.)
Two, Frederica is not as dumb her mother believes her to be and is decidedly against marrying Mr. Slimy (ironically, Lady Susan has agreed with her daughter that Sir Martin is a fool and is still forcing her to marry him...).
Either way you go, Mr. Slimy doesn't end up married without someone's heart being broken.
 
The story is really set in motion when Lady Susan (when sent away from the Manwarings' house for pursuing Mr. Manwaring...) goes to live with her husband's brother Charles Vernon and his wife Catherine. Catherine sees Lady Susan for the snake she is and pretty much dislikes her the whole story. Charles is one of those sweeter people who likes to believe the very best about everyone and thus accepts Lady Susan with open arms. Charles younger brother, Reginald De Courcy, comes to meet the famed temptress (fully aware of her history) and is ensnared by her almost magic manipulative powers. Which is really a shame because Reginald seems altogether rather respectable and sweet. Things get complicated when Frederica is kicked out of her boarding school and has to come live with the Vernons too. Unfortunately, the Reginald-being-under-an-evil-spell becomes all the worse when we realize that sweet shy Frederica has fallen completely in love with him.
 
Anyway, I'm not here to spoil the whole thing, so I'll end my summary there. Just wanted you to get a feel for what might just be the most scandalous Austen book ever published...
 
The weird part about this book, is that the letters just kind of stop at a certain point and Austen finishes the story in a maybe two page conclusion... which... I would've liked to read the rest of the story written out like her other novels maybe... It just was weird because the happy ending was in that conclusion. A bit rushed perhaps... although... I don't know. It did kinda fit the rest of the novel...
 
It was really good. And... I think I liked it more because it just was soooo different from her other stuff. Like... wow. Evil stepmother territory here. It just was neat. I would LOVE to see BBC do a something with this. I realize they'd have to add a bit and fill in places but... it would be a good miniseries. I hope somebody thinks that this is a good idea someday... (Plus, why the heck have they left out one lonely Austen novel? Like... it's the only one they haven't paid some kind of tribute to.)
 
Guys... I think I have a movie to make. How are all of your British accents and flirting abilities?
 
;-) Just kidding.
 
...
 
Maybe...
 
You never can tell with me. (I'm not even sure I can tell...)
 
5 Fandom Points... It just deserves to be in with the rest of the Jane Austen family... it's a delightful little read and I thoroughly enjoyed it's this-was-scandal-back-in-the-19th-century.
 
~ Aloisa Quintal
"I write only to bid you farewell. The spell is removed; I see you as you are."

4 comments:

  1. My British accent is pretty good, but flirting abilities are nonexistent. ;-D

    It is strange, though, that there's only one without a movie rendition.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Ditto.

      Yeah I thought it was weird too. I mean... I guess I see why this one wasn't... I'm just surprised no one has tried. The amount of blank areas would leave a lot of room for creativity which, you would think, would make creating a movie length script and plot fairly easy... Then again, I don't know.... Movie producers just seem to have a hard time NOT taking creative liberties... and with this one... well you would have to.

      Delete
  2. British people would probably find my British accent offensive, but I'm pretty proud of it. And my *actual* flirting is super awkward and giggly, but when I'm acting I can flirt like nobody's business.

    LET'S DO THIS.

    Also, I rather want to read this book now. *Consults list* Hmmmmmm... I should be able to get to it around... October.

    *Sigh* Why are there so many books to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so much fun to actually do this... but... alas I probably will never have the time...

      You should read it.

      I don't know. But I suppose I should be glad there is... a world without books? No thank you.

      Delete