Actual Header

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Big Hero 6 - Movie Review

Hello Dreamers!


No, I'm not publishing the wrong post. I'm just correcting a mistake I made last Sunday... because (as I'm sure my more-observant-than-me readers noticed) I've already reviewed Catching Fire. 

To answer your most immediate question... No, I'm not crazy


But I may be in serious need of a doctor.

 
 

So... Seeing as how I'd been prepared to review Catching Fire I believe I get a bit of an excused tardy slip for this review...
 
Summary:
Big Hero 6 is about a young boy in Japan named Hiro (see cuz the movie is called Big HERO 6? Get it? Eh? Okay...). Hiro and his older brother, Tadashi (*cries*) both have a passion and talent for inventing incredible robotics. However, they have a different way of using this talent. Tadashi attends a college where he hopes to gain the skills and resources to build robots that will better the world while Hiro builds robots that win illegal bot fights (Well, the bot fighting isn't illegal, but betting on bot fights is... Which... is the whole point...). Tadashi, hoping to widen his brother's horizons, introduces him to his friends at school. Hiro falls in love with Tadashi's "nerd school" and doesn't rest until he's accepted. Anyway, I don't want to spoil anything, but things shift dramatically and... well... Hiro ends up using his brother's robotic research to overcome grief, start a team of heroes (like the Avengers or something like that) and not that you saw this coming but...... save the world (or maybe on a less dramatic note... a person he should've really hated...).
 
Overall Quality:
This movie is breathtaking. The characters are fabulous. The animation is drop dead gorgeous. It makes you cry and it makes you laugh. A lot. (Now sit in agony and wonder which word "a lot" was meant to modify. Cry or laugh. Or maybe both?)
 
OH! And the short film played before this movie? PRICELESS!!!! It was sooo cute! (it's called "Feast" if you wanted to know)
 
Acting:
Well... I realize I'm not sure if I've ever encountered having to answer this section in an animated movie before.... but... Everything was fantastic!
 
Content Advisory:
A beautifully clean family friendly movie from Disney and Marvel. (I'm not promising that little children wont cry their little hearts out though... fair warning.)
 
The Rant Bit:
I don't think I have laughed so hard and been struck by sadness in one movie in a long time. There and Back Again made me cry real sobbing tears, but didn't make me laugh 10 minutes later. This movie has soo much feels!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
And the character development! ARG! I love all the characters so much!
 
Another thing I thought I'd mention is how this movie deals with the theme of grief. Most (forgive me, ALL) Disney movies have something sad about them. Usually it's that the main character is missing one or both of their parents. But... usually the film doesn't focus on dealing with that grief. Usually there's some other plot going on. But this... this movie focuses on grief. It's pretty much the whole story arch. Which is... feelsy, but... I find it interesting. And... kinda inspiring. I mean if you were a little kid... this movie would hit the right notes for you...
 
And if you're an emotional teenager... it finds a special place in your heart.
 
5 Fandom Points. Well done Disney & Marvel.
 
 
 
~ Aloisa Quintal
Baymax: "Balalalala."
 
Baymax: "We jumped out a window."
 
Fred: "My name's Fred. School mascot by day. But by night... I'm also the school mascot."
 
Fred: "Well then, what about an invisible sandwich? Imagine eating a sandwich, but everyone just thinks your crazy."
 
.... yeah there are kinda too many quotes...

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I CRIED, I LAUGHED. IT WAS FABULOUS. I seriously love it so much and I'm glad you loved it too and I'm especially glad we got to see it together (even if for the second time).

    AND THE LAST FRED QUOTE IS THE BEST. IT HAD ME IN STITCHES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... this movie was so good. Can't even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! YES BIG HERO 6. FOREVER. *cries* sdufkhdfuh

    ReplyDelete