Actual Header

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Doctor Who: Season 8 - Time Heist (Episode 5)

Hello Dreamers,

So apparently you guys had nothing to add to last episode's post (you wanna like post a random gif in the comments or something so I know you're all still there?? *nervous smile*)


Anyway... Time Heist. Time Heist was up to par with Doctor Who's usual epicness. Very nice considering some of the ups and downs we're getting from this season.

Synopsis:
This episode begins with the Doctor answering the phone on the Tardis which inexplicably (at first) turns into a worm thing and the Doctor and Clara are suddenly whisked off into a room with two other characters (Psi and Saibra). All four of them can't remember how they got to this room. Recordings of each character then start to play revealing that each of them voluntarily agreed to a memory wipe. To add to all of this, another unrecognizable voice then starts to play telling them their job is to break into the most secure bank in the universe (where they are conveniently located.). So, they figure that since they agreed to the memory wipe voluntarily, they must have been promised something quite substantial. The Doctor tells them to think of the thing they desire most in the world. It is clear that Psi and Saibra have some interesting back stories which are to be revealed this episode as they seem to know exactly what they desire most. Anyway, to make a long story short, they agree to rob the bank.

Acting:
I love the two new characters in this episode! I hope we get to see them again (maybe in the finale?). So bravo to Jonathon Bailey (Psi) and Pippa Bennett-Warner (Saibra).
I'd also like to mention that Keeely Hawes as Ms. Delphox was brilliant as well.

Overall Quality:
We got a typical alien life form in this episode with some other unnatural effects (peoples heads deflating and what not, typical Doctor Who stuff), and the effects weren't that bad... DW's effects have gotten better since the Eccleston days.

Regardless, the episode was brilliant. It did a good job keeping you guessing.

The Rant Bit:
What to say about this one.....

Well, it was good. Very good. I really liked Psi. Hope he comes back... and Saibra and the Doctor almost seemed to have a thing... (please tell me I'm not the only one who saw that?) Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

LOVED the twist at the end... utterly brilliant.

Still undecided about Danny. (As someone who has seen up through episode 10, I can tell you that this probably wont change till I see the finale.)

5 Fandom Points. Anybody feel like this episode needs more ranting? Comment. I'm just... not passionate today I guess.

~ Aloisa Quintal
"We're getting sanity judgement from the self-burner."

6 comments:

  1. WE'RE STILL HERE, ALOISA. Sorry I didn't comment last time. I really didn't have anything to add.

    Let's see, ranting, ranting...... um...... Well, there weren't enough of Psi and Saibra. Remember back in the RTD years when there were two-parters mid-season? (Actually, there were two-part non-finale episodes in seasons 5 and 6, too......) I think this should've been a two-part episode. Forget The Caretaker or Kill the Moon or Flatline (because those have been the lamest episodes) and instead have the first episode of this arc go more into Psi and Saidra's backstories, the Doctor/Saidra thing (which, I agree, totally existed) and the powers of the guilt-detecting alien. Then have Part 2 focus more on the robbery itself, the reason(s) for it, and Ms. Delphox. My one complaint with this episode when we first watched it was that it felt rushed. Doubling the length would've fixed that, and with guest characters this good and a plot this complex, it could definitely have been done without getting boring or old.

    Drat it, now I'm all depressed that this was just a stand-alone episode. :(

    Also, I'm beginning to think that there has to be an alien force of some sort involved in my complete lack of opinion regarding Danny. I can't remember the last time I've felt as utterly "meh" about a Doctor Who character as I do about him, which doesn't make *any* sense, considering what an important character he's becoming and how many times he's shown up. Mrs. Egbert and her friends all love him. There are a lot of reasons for me to love him. There are also a lot of reasons for me to hate him. And I just...... don't. I feel nothing. Nada. No emotion whatsoever. *Shrugs helplessly and shakes head at the aliens*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for adding all that. I completely agree. I don't know what's wrong with my ranting, but... I think I'm just too concerned with what's going to happen in the finale to care as much about these episodes... the negative to getting behind in reviews.

      Delete
  2. I'M STILL HERE TOO! I just hate to be that one person who comments and is like "I know nothing about Doctor Who" XD. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut........

    Well I don't know how to put gifs in the comments, so I'll just tell you--I've been watching a TV show myself. Now, it's not Doctor Who (sorry, but I simply feel like I can't watch it alone), but it's a Canadian cop show called Flashpoint and I'm really enjoying it. I'm almost done with Season 1 and it's been pretty darn clean so far (as far as cop shows go. It's TV-PG for violence and mild language, and there are some drug references and other references, but nothing that bad) and the cast of characters is soooooo awesome! So yeah. That's what's been going on.

    Also your reviews are awesome. Even though I haven't seen Doctor Who. They are just really well put together. So kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Love ya, Hannah!!!

      Really? Hm... I'll have to look for that! Sounds interesting.

      Delete
    2. FLASHPOINT IS AWESOME. I LOVE IT.

      THAT IS ALL.

      Delete
    3. Gonna look for it tonight... I'll let you know.

      Delete