Actual Header

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Jack the Giant Slayer & Hobbit: 6 Days!!!!

So I got to see Jack the Giant Slayer last Friday. I must say that I was pretty pleased with it.

Here's the basic storyline: (If you're planning on watching it, you may want to know that this summary will go over the beginning of the storyline. If you wish to only read my review, then skip below...)
Jack is a poor peasant who grew up listening to bedtime stories about giants and mystical lands. his father died when he was a child, so he now lives with his uncle. His uncle and him are pressed for money, so his uncle sends Jack to town with the horse and cart to sell. (A reference to the original story if I'm remembering correctly...) Jack, of course, gets distracted and happens to come across the princess (whom he automatically and obviously likes (haha!)) who has been sneaking out of the castle for a bit of adventure (we discover this later). Jack realizes that while he was "saving" the princess (long story that I'm not going to explain, so I guess you'll just have to watch it) his cart got stolen leaving him only the horse to sell. He eventually sells the horse to a monk who is escaping the castle with a small bag of beans. The monk tells Jack that if he brings the beans to his monastery, he can get money in return. Jack takes the beans in trade for the horse. Through an argument with his uncle, the beans fall through a crack in his floor, where they proceed to be watered. *dun dun dun* The princess ends up running into Jack's humble home on another one of her escape from the castle adventures. The bean stalk manages to grow at that moment, and the princess along with Jack's house are taken up into the sky. Jack volunteers to go with the king's men to rescue her. This is basically where the story begins.


My Assessment:
This movie was a fairly clean PG-13 movie. I don't remember any cursing at all. There wasn't really anything with blood or gore. (As far as PG-13 movies go. If you've seen The Hobbit, you'll be fine) However, there was a pretty high body count. What I mean by this is that quite a few minor characters were portrayed as if they were going to play a big part in the movie (i.e. quite a few scenes/lines, recognizable features ectect), but then they were killed off by giants or the main villain. (This mostly involved being eaten or being thrown off of high places) This was a little bit shocking mostly because it seemed like they were going to be pretty important characters, and then they just...died. Although, I must say, something extremely unique about all this blood shed, was that the commander of the king's men (Elmont) grieved over his men dying. There was one that he made a grave for and cried over it Aragorn style. There were about 4 that got thrown off the beanstalk pretty early on that (maybe it was just me) he seemed pretty upset by. But anyway, that was a pretty prominent theme, I thought.

There was pretty much nothing weird or objectionable as far as relationships go. Jack and Isabella kiss, but I think it's only like once or twice. Nothing to be concerned about.

Jack was an extremely likable character (at least to me). I wasn't rooting for the bad guys at all this time. (Mostly because they were like 50 feet tall and gross and slimy, but still...) But anyway, he was pretty awesome.

Elmont was EPIC! I love this actor. Enough said.

I sort of felt like Jack and Isabella's relationship moved rather fast, but I feel that way about most movies. There simply isn't enough time to develop a relationship in an action movie. So yeah.


Overall I'd give it a 7/10. Pretty good movie. Might even buy it. (Probably not. I never buy DVD's)

~ Aloisa Quintal
The King: "So what did you find out there? Do these giants have any weaknesses?"
Elmont: "Not many, no."

Elmont: "Fear of heights?"
Jack: "Fear of falling."
Elmont: "Then don't fall!"

2 comments:

  1. A lovely review! Funny, I didn't realize how rare the whole "commander mourning for his dead men" thing was until you mentioned it. Hm.

    Of course, now that I think of it, are we really surprised that it was the man who played Obi-Wan Kenobi who did decided to be a pioneer and mourn all epically? (A clue: No.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. In fact I expected him to get on his knees and cry all epicly! *Kidding* I didn't expect him to cry. But he was AWESOME enough to do it! He's so awesome!!!!!!

      Delete