Actual Header

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Hunger Games Movie: Official Review

First off, I am going to state very clearly and firmly right here that I will not recommend this movie to anyone. Now this seems a very harsh statement, but I have my reasons, so keep reading. There are some moral issues in this movie that should be addressed. Also keep in mind that I haven't read the books.

This movie is about a young teenage girl named Katniss Everdeen. She lives in the future North America. In her society, the government (The Capitol) crushes rebellions by scaring their people into believing that they can not stand up against the government. They scare them by making each of the districts (there are 12) "volunteer" one boy and one girl to compete in a life or death annual "game" called The Hunger Games. Really, the way they "volunteer" kids, is by choosing their name from a bowl. Basically it's a gamble. Katniss gets chosen along with a boy named Peeta. They both go to the games representing district 12. Once in the games, 24 kids are let loose in an "arena" that is basically a harsh wilderness, and only one person comes out. (Meaning all the others have to die somehow, because the last person alive wins the games.) So, each tribute (that is what they call the picked kids), whether they want to be there or not, is forced to survive or die. This creates a dog eat dog world, where some choose to be heartless and hunt kids down in packs to kill them. While others choose to be caring and as much as possible, don't kill people.

This is where the moral issues start to come in. Katniss overall doesn't wan't be there. However, she is, and therefore if she wants to come out alive, she has to compete with everything she has. She chooses to try and survive the elements of the arena rather than kill other kids. Basically she's hoping that the natural forest will kill the other kids, and she wont have to kill anyone. Katniss does end up killing kids, but usually it is because of self defense. However, this doesn't justify killing anyone, so don't think that's what I'm saying. Because Katniss was killing out of self defense, many will justify these actions. If you compare what Katniss does to what some of the other kids do, Katniss is generally a "good person". The other children are seen grouping up, and hunting down kids (similar to a pack of wolves), rather than just protecting themselves. This is considered barbaric and therefore these children are labeled "the bad guys". But, they kill kids just like Katniss, the only difference is the scenario. Does that justify Katniss' actions? I don't know. I'll let you come to that conclusion.

Through out the movie, you do see mercy and pity in some of the characters, (Katniss, Rue, and another boy from district 11) and I think that this is part of what the movie is trying to say. The pity and friendship that Katniss ends up having with a 12 year old girl named Rue from district 11, really affected the watchers. First of all, Katniss is from district 12 and Rue is from district 11. This should make them sworn enemies. However, Katniss ends up fighting in the games with Rue as a partner. Rue tends Katniss' wounds, and Katniss keeps Rue well fed. They have a sisterly relationship. SPOILER ALERT! >>> When Rue dies, Katniss is deeply affected, and Katniss lays her on a bed of flowers and gives some sort of sign to District 11. <<< SPOILER ALERT! This affects district 11. I think it's because of the humanity that is shown through Katniss' actions, doesn't fit the games at all. This tenderness is so contrary to what the Capitol says that people begin to realize what has happened to their society. This begins a revolt. Later on, another boy from district 11 protects Katniss because of the way she protected Rue.

I think that the choices that the characters made in the games, (To kill or not, or to show kindness or not) define who each character is, and overall show how each kid was brought up and how their personality is. The message in the Hunger Games is against violence and how society has become to numb to violence and that if we're not careful, we'll become just like the Capitol. Risking other people's lives for entertainment. (In a sense) So if you keep in mind that the "bad" kids were brought up preparing to kill people mercilessly in the Hunger Games since before they can remember, you realize that violence and hatred is all they have ever known. This difference between Katniss and the "bad" children, is what shows the world how wrong their society is, and sparks the story line for the next movie/book.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that this movie brings up some actions and ideas that are very morally questionable. There is a gladiator sense that these kids are being forced to kill each other. These morally wrong situations in no way, can be justified. I am stating that this is wrong. However, keep in mind that this isn't the kids faults, it's the Capitols fault, and the fault of the way they were raised.

Here is my one request if you are going to see this movie. Don't turn the Hunger Games into something that everyone aspires to be. Don't turn it into Harry Potter, where kids keep wands in their bedrooms, or Lord of the Rings where kids keep the ring of power around their neck. The Capitol in the Hunger Games brutally forces and watches kids kill each other. Here's the problem, they enjoy it.  If you go into the Hunger Games and it becomes your favorite movie, your favorite characters, your favorite songs, and that is what you theme your bedroom ect ect, then are you any better than the Capitol? Just think about it. Are you any different from the Capitol when you watch this movie? Keep that in mind when you see this movie.

~ Aloisa Quintal

7 comments:

  1. This was very well written. I would like to note that the only time Katniss killed was out of protection of another. She killed Marvel, the boy from District 1, in order to protect Rue. She shot Cato to save Peeta's life. On the note of Cato, it was... mindbogglingly realistic in how we can become in the future if we aren't careful. "One more kill.... to bring pride to my District.... It's the only thing I know how to do." Those aren't exact quotes, but it was something along those lines. You realize there's a dimension to him that is much more than a murderer. He was raised to know nothing else.

    I noticed in one part of the movie, there was a kid in the Capitol who got a fake sword to celebrate the Hunger Games, and he was pretending to be a tribute. Haymitch looked at the family with a disgusted expression on his face. I admit, I did as well. This is where we're going. When will we become so desensitized to the world that we would go so far as that? That is where one can see what Collins is trying to say. When will the day come that we would look to the starving, oppressed, enslaved, and just. not. care?

    I watched the movie and personally couldn't comprehend how you could not be horrified and utterly awakened by what is happening, yet, I know for a fact, people just didn't get it. They didn't get the hands-shaking, gut-wrenching reaction that I did seeing a little curly haired freckled boy slaughtered before he has had a chance to live. They probably didn't even recognize his death as anything more than another eliminated kid in the Games. I can't say I recommend the movie either. I got something out of it, yes, but who's to say anyone else would? Who's to say that any given person who watched it wouldn't become numbed to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, good thoughts. I really like what you said in that last paragraph. I think it's fine to find meaning in the Hunger Games and even LIKE the Hunger Games *cough*Samantha*cough*, but to turn it into something that you TRY to become instead of use as a warning against what you could become destroys anything good present. I think that's what most people do, unfortunately. Although I have to disagree with Samantha because I don't necessarily think that, that is exactly what we're coming to. We're a VERY long ways away from that, if that would ever happen at all. I think there is a difference between the annoying ignorance/indifference we sometimes have toward evil and actually coming to, well, the Hunger Games. Anyway. Very good, thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out that Katniss only killed to protect. I didn't notice that on my own...I also agree with what you said about it having a good message but not everyone watching the movie is going to get that.
    I was recently thinking that perhaps teens aren't as affected by the "kids killing kids" thing, because to teens, kids their age aren't kids. A teen looking at a teen doesn't see a little kid like a 30 year old does. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this must be the exact opposite of what you intended, but this review almost made me want to watch The Hunger Games (which at one time I swore I'd never do).
    For some reason, the idea of Katniss killing people doesn't really bother me. Maybe I'm just not as sweet and innocent as you are, Aloisa and Samantha and Jess. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hadn't meant for this to encourage you to see it. :) I don't recall if I said this before, but I can't decide if I liked it or not. It's weird.

      Delete
  5. Very good review. I have not watched the Hunger Games, and never intend to, for I know the taste it would leave in my mouth...But I think this was very good.

    When they made the Hunger Games, I do not think in the least that they meant to warn people and try to make them change something that could happen in the future. They weren't pushing the message that: "We need to change this, fellow watchers! This is horrible, and cant happen." Which is very sad, because I believe the movie was only for enjoyment. (Who would get enjoyment out of it, I don't know.) Just my thoughts. Thank you for making this review. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when Suzanne Collins wrote the book that is what she intended. To warn against evils. When they transferred it into movie, some of that can't help but be evident. Whether the director put it there in the first place or not. I don't think that they meant it for anything other than entertainment, but that original warning against evil is still there.

      Delete