Actual Header

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Doctor Who: Season 8 - Mummy On The Orient Express (Episode 8)

Hello Dreamers,


I liked this episode. It was a good episode.

Summary:
In the beginning little bit (the part before the intro/credits where someone always dies), we see two women who look like they're from the 20s sitting on a train talking at a table. One is a young woman and the other is old. All of a sudden, the older woman starts freaking out because she sees a monster. No one else can see it. Needless to say the monster (the mummy) kills her. All in 66 seconds. Then credits roll and the episode startlingly begins with Clara traveling with the Doctor again. We learn that the Doctor and Clara are out on their "final fling" and that Clara truly is going to leave him after this little adventure. Yay. (She said in a sarcastic voice.) Anyway, the Doctor takes her to a remake of the Orient Express that's in space. They (of course) encounter the mummy issue as people start dying left and right all claiming to see a monster of some kind in the last 66 seconds of their life. Shenanigans ensue. 

Acting:
So, after having seen Kill the Moon, Clara's ability to suddenly blow up is keeping me on my toes. But otherwise everything is fine. 
I think there's an important actor or two, but... I'm not familiar with any of them so... you'll have to do your own research. 

Overall Quality:
This was a really good episode. It was done very well and it almost had an older Doctor Who episode feel to it. I loved it. 

Content Advisory:
Nothing really to mention here. (It's been a while though so... don't kill me if I'm wrong)

The Rant Bit:
Let's see who wrote this episode... Jamie Mathieson huh? A new writer to Doctor Who but he wrote this episode and Flatline (review is coming soon). Anyway, this episode had a mystery "who done it" sort of feel. Like an Agatha Christie type thing.

But, down to the real goodies. This episode only made me hate Kill The Moon more. Because at the end of this one, Clara essentially says "So... remember that thing where I flipped out and yelled at you and told you I hate you and left? Yeah that thing. Let's just pretend that never happened." And we go back to the old Clara with the Doctor stuff. And that's it. That's all that Kill The Moon resulted in. Nothing awesome. Nothing terrible. Just.... "Well that was fun, what's next?" So annoying.

But this episode was really very good. There was a One reference. And a jelly babies reference (which are TOTALLY worth ordering online or something because I have now tried (real ones!) them and they are sooo good)! And there was an Nine reference! Yay!

5 Fandom Points.



 ~ Aloisa Quintal
The Doctor: "Hello. I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm the Doctor and I will be your victim this evening. Are you my mummy?"

2 comments:

  1. Now, look, you - if you've been travelling with the Doctor, I'm going to be most seriously displeased. We had an agreement, Aloisa; if he shows up at your door, your first trip is to *my* house.

    'Cause, see, I don't know if you know this, but it's *Wednesday*. I can just imagine the conversation:

    "Look, Doctor, can you drop me off on Thursday? I've got a post to write."

    "Of course! Welcome to Thursday!"

    When really it was Wednesday. You should've checked your calendar. The Doctor's simply lovely, but we have to acknowledge his aim can be a bit off. Like when he says he'll be back in five minutes and is gone twelve years. Or when he promises to drop you off on Thursday and lands you on Wednesday instead.

    But about the post......

    Oh, it's lovely as always. Embarrassing as it is to admit, I'd completely forgotten about that Nine reference. So thanks for reminding me!

    Due to this more egregious slip on my part, I can more easily forgive you for failing to mention Mr. Collins. I guess.

    Be back Friday! (Or will it be THURSDAY?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... Long story. Basically all day yesterday I got confused. I thought it was Thursday when in reality it was Wednesday. Don't know what happened to me.

      *face palm* I knew there was an actor I was forgetting. So dumb of me.

      Delete