Actual Header

Monday, September 29, 2014

Doctor Who: Season 8 - Robots of Sherwood (Episode 3)

Hello Dreamers!


Gatiss really came through this time. So much so that Pearl is actually considering placing this episode ahead of Nine's Empty Child/The Doctor Dances story line (currently her favorite Doctor and her favorite DW story). That should tell you something right there because as everyone should already know, Nine is Pearl's Doctor. (And as far as I go, it's probably in the top 10 episodes... it was good.)

Summary:
The Doctor offers to take Clara where ever she wishes to go. So Clara wishes. She explains that she's always looked up to the fictional character of Robin Hood. Twelve, being our skeptical Doctor, assures her that Robin Hood is a myth. Nothing more. If only there had been a way for him to prove it to her... like Google... or a time machine... or something. Oh wait... 

(Yes I just like finding excuses to put doctor gifs in my reviews)

Needless to say, we end up in medieval times. Yay! Where the Sheriff is busy oppressing Nottingham and Robin Hood is actually fighting against him. (I think Twelve and Clara really are starting a trend of Clara being right and the Doctor is always wrong. Rule # 2, Clara is always right.) But don't worry, there is some alienish robotish stuff going on as well.

Acting:
Tom Riley (Robin Hood) was very good. He was a lovely Robin with plenty of laughing and jesting to go around.

However, I cannot help but see the opportunity that the BBC missed. Just imagine if this had happened:
I mean Jonas is BBC's Robin Hood! Even if they'd a subtle cameo or something with someone... anyone...

*remembers something, doubts it and then IMDb's it* WAIT!!!! Scratch everything I just said. The BBC has not failed us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See if you can pick it out:

Just look a bit closer:


Annnnndddd closer: 

It's Carter!


Not making that up. (Though, honestly, it's a bit hard to tell w/o hearing his voice. I'm up for a re-watch, what say you?) I'm sorry I ever doubted you Gatiss.


This has GOT to be one of the best DW episodes to grace the TV screen.

Quality:
This episode is perfect in every way shape and form. Absolutely amazing. I think there may be some plot hole or something (I recall reading something people were complaining about but don't remember what it was)... but who cares about plot holes. It was amazing and brilliantly clever. (A spoon/sword fight??? YES.) 

Content Advisory:
Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

The Rant Bit:
I sorta already ranted... so this'll do. 



Yes, I was serious about the spoon thing. 

Well what were you expecting after I showered praise upon it?
Lots of pictures this time around huh?

~ Aloisa Quintal

Robin Hood: "History is a burden. Stories can make us fly."
The Doctor: "I'm still having a little trouble believing yours I'm afraid."
Robin Hood: "Is it so hard to credit? That a man born into wealth and privilege should find the plight of the oppressed and weak too much to bear... until one night, he is moved to steal a TARDIS? Fly among the stars, fighting the good fight?"


8 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH CARTER IS SO OLD NOW. XDDDD

    I can't wait until Hannah sees this post.

    But all I can say is that as much as I said I would never watch DW, I would have changed my mind...

    If Jonas Armstrong had been in it.

    OH WELL.

    *thinks about how narrowly she escaped being sucked in to yet another BBC show*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot, so close. ;-)

      I know... he looks so different.

      Delete
  2. *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLLINNGGGGG*

    CARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT'S TIME FOR A CRAZY FAN THEORY.
    Because Carter existed in a fictional universe, the fact that his death in Robin Hood was offscreen meant that he couldn't really die; instead, he was transported to another fictional universe...... the Doctor Who universe.
    Carter, of course, maintained his memories of the other universe, and he soon observed that the same political turmoil and oppression was taking place in this new home. Naturally, he assumed that Robin had to exist somewhere in this world too, and so he began seeking him out, because in his original home he'd been hoping to become Robin's friend and ally as soon as the Crusade was over and Richard no longer needed him. He was a bit surprised when he first met Robin and found that he wasn't the Robin Carter had met, but it didn't take long for Carter to see that he had the same courage and spirit...... just with more guffawing. Seeing that Robin's band had every member Carter remembered except Will Scarlett, Carter decided to take a gamble and give Robin that name, and...... boom. All was as it should be.
    Seriously though, I AM SO HAPPY THAT THAT'S ACTUALLY CARTER YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. LIKE OH MY FREAKING WORD I NEED TO REWATCH THIS EPISODE BECAUSE I LOVE IT SO SO MUCH.
    BLESS YOU MARK GATISS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant theory. How are you going to explain the transportation from Robin Hood to Doctor Who? Or do all BBC tv shows have a connecting channel of energy called the BBC through which British characters often inexplicably get whisked away and dropped into another story? XD

      Delete
  4. Other Doctor Who episodes written by Mark Gatiss:
    The Unquiet Dead - which I love.
    The Idiot's Lantern - which I haven't seen in a long time but seem to remember liking.
    Victory of the Daleks - which I really liked (although for some reason that's not a very popular episode).
    Night Terrors - which I'm pretty sure I liked.
    Cold War - which I liked more because of the actors in it than because of the story, but it certainly wasn't a *bad* episode.
    And The Crimson Horror - which, like so much in Doctor Who, was very weird but good.
    So...... yeah. If Moffat leaves, we're making Mark head writer. I don't care how busy he is. That's just the way things have to be now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Mark Gatiss. What has he written on Sherlock? Or has he?

      Wow he wrote a lot of Sherlock... interesting.

      Delete